Thursday, May 6, 2010

May 6th Report and Some Needs

Anderson Cooper of CNN and agents from FEMA were out in Nashville today.  I was glad to see the national media finally noticing our amazing city, and I was happy that our government is taking the situation seriously.  Relief efforts are definitely underway all over.  Neighbors are helping neighbors, people are coming together.  Importantly, the Church has, in many instances, been leading the way.  In the midst of devastation, people are living out the commands of Christ.

Members of Church of the Redeemer were all over our city today helping those in need.  I spent part of my day at River Plantation, a heavily damaged series of condos in Bellevue.  I had the chance to see several of you hard at work, as I know you were in so many other places.  I would love to list everyone’s names and what they’ve been doing.  But if I do that I will leave out many of you, so I won’t.  Please know that I have spoken to many families today that you are helping, and they are all deeply grateful. 

Help needed Tomorrow

One family needs help loading up some furniture on a truck tomorrow.  If you can be at 137 Plantation Court in River Plantation at 10 am, will you please contact me at 615-403-4009 or via e-mail as soon as you can?  Thanks.

The family at 2920 McNairy Lane 37204 needs some help loading up boxes and hauling stuff off to recycle.  Come by after 9 a.m.

If you can help Susan Eames in a book drying operation please contact her directly.  If you don’t have her contact information, contact me and I will give it to you.

If you can help Joyce Shepard save one family’s photos, contact her directly.  If you don’t have her information, contact me and I will give it to you (we’re trying to keep folks’ information private on the internet)
Report on Homes

Now I have something to say that is both marvelous and may be too good to be true.  As far as I am aware, all Redeemer homes have had all critical needs met. 

There is still cleaning up to do, and there will be a great deal of construction work over the next weeks and months.  Everyone is in livable accommodations, though some people will need to be transferred to longer term housing in the near future. Some still have cleaning up work to do.  Also, there is need for folks to help salvage things like precious photos, documents, wood furnishings, etc.  I will give you information about that below.  However, the essential things: removing drywall and floors, removing furniture, removing soaked items, has been done.  I am astounded by what God has done. 

If you are able to help those in need tomorrow, we have some needs listed above.  May I also suggest going to the neighborhood nearest you that has been effected or going to the areas around the addresses that we have been going to.  You will find plenty of people who have not yet had the kind of assistance that members of our church community have received.  If you would like to participate in a more organized effort, Nashville Metro is sending all potential volunteers to Hands On Nashville: www.hon.org

Stay In Touch

As specific homes ask for more help, or as new homes possibly emerge, I will make that information known to you.  I have been using this blog at   I have been using facebook.  If you use facebook, please be sure to “like” (formerly known as “become a fan of”) Redeemer at www.Facebook.com/RedeemerNashville  Also, I have been using twitter.  I use both the church account, www.twitter.com/RedeemerNash and my personal account, www.twitter.com/ThomasMcKenzie  Of course, I am also contacting people through phone, text, and e-mail.  Once again, I can be reached at 615-403-4009 and Thomas@RedeemerNashville.net 

Relief Fund

As I mentioned yesterday, we now have a designated fund set up at Redeemer.  Every dollar given to the Flood Relief fund will go to help people in our congregation.  You can bring a check on Sunday, or mail one in.  Please write you check to Church of the Redeemer and MEMO it to “Flood Relief.”  Then send the check to us at 920 Caldwell Lane, Nashville, TN, 37204

Very Important Contact Information
If you have been affected, I strongly encourage you to contact two organizations as soon as possible. 

FEMA/TEMA
1-800-462-9029 from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. CST Monday through Friday.
www.fema.gov

Red Cross
www.GraceWorksMinistries.net – 615-794-2174
104 Southeast Parkway, Suite 100, Franklin , TN 37064

Vanderbilt Free Items
The folks at Vandy are giving away tons of clothes and food tomorrow.  Just stop by Student Life Center - Ballroom C, 310 25th Ave. S.  to collect items for yourself or someone you know who is in need.

Information and Resources I Can Pass On
I have tons of information I can pass on to anyone who needs it.  Since it will not apply to most people, I won’t put it here or on the blog.  But if you would like access to this information or these resources, please contact me.
- If you lost a car and need one, I can at least two available for loan.  Let me know.
- Want to know how to preserve photos, I can pass info on to you.
- There is a business in LaVergne that is giving away water and tarps.
- I have a sheet that tells you everything FEMA provides.  I can pass it on.
- I have a lady who is offering an empty garage for storage.  Let me know.
- There are some offers of people looking to donate furniture.  If you have need now, let me know. 
-  Many people have offered short term places for folks to live.  Please let me know if you need a short term solution.