Sunday, May 9, 2010

For May 10th

UPDATE: I am requesting folks go to 332 Wimpole Drive, Nashville, 37211 today at 1 pm.  The house needs to have items sorted through.  No heavy work today.  Tomorrow, there will be a crew needed for demolition work at the same house.   



Flood Recovery for Sunday, May 10

It was great to see many of you in church today.  I was especially glad to see so many families who have been affected by the flood.  Many people were sharing their stories, showing compassion to one another as well as celebrating with one another.  Though some of us had very scary moments, no one in the Redeemer family lost their lives; this is a fact we praise God for.  We were able to focus on the Lord, to lift him up and draw strength from his Spirit. 

I’m sure many of you have already begun to contribute towards our Relief Fund.   Every dollar given will go to help people in our congregation.  Please write checks to Church of the Redeemer and MEMO it to “Flood Relief.”  Then send the check to us at 920 Caldwell Lane, Nashville, TN, 37204

Please Report In
It would be a great help to me if you have been helping at a Redeemer home if you would report in to me.  Please send me an e-mail and let me know what more needs to be done in the coming week, if anything.  Let me know, also, what you have been doing. If you are a homeowner and you have not been assisted, or if you need more assistance, I need to know so that I can direct folks toward you.  Please don’t be shy in asking for help. 

Assist Those Without Computers
If you have been reading these e-mails, or following the blog, you know that we have posted a great deal of information.  Of course, many of those most affected by the flood have lost their computers.  For that reason, I have assembled some of the most important data in a single document: Flood Relief Guide.  You can access this guide very easily.  If you click here, it should download automatically: http://files.me.com/thomas.mckenzie/pz8wcs If that does not work, send me an e-mail and ask for the document.  I will send it to you; it is a pdf file.  If you know people who have been affected by the flood, please print out this document and take it to them.  It will provide very useful information. 

For Monday, May 10
On Sunday morning, I learned of a Redeemer house that might well need a good deal of attention.  The house is located at 332 Wimpole Drive, Nashville, 37211.  A small team is going to be there tomorrow at 9 am to assess the situation.  It is likely that we will be calling on volunteers to meet us there.  If we need volunteers on Tuesday, I will put that information out in tomorrow’s e-mail and blog post.  If we need volunteers tomorrow, Monday, I will also send that information out.  However, if you are willing to volunteer tomorrow, I can contact you directly if you will e-mail/call/text me either tonight or tomorrow.  Let me know that you will be available, and I will let you know by 10 am on Monday morning if we will need you at this address. 

There are other smaller jobs to be done for Redeemer families.  If you have a smaller job to do, please post it on the blog in the comment section of this post.  Or send it to me and I will pass it along. 

If you are available tomorrow to help with the Wimpole Drive address, please let me know.  If you are available tomorrow and this address does not need you, please consider joining in the efforts in one of the other affected neighborhoods. 

Information and Resources I Can Pass On
- If you lost a car and need one, I can at least two available for loan.  Let me know.
- If you need a truck, I have a line on two that you can borrow.  Neither comes with a driver.  Let me know, and I will give you the facts. 
- Want to know how to preserve photos, I can pass info on to you.
- Tide “Loads of Hope” will be in Nashville on Wednesday to wash clothes for those affected.  Watch the blog/facebook/twitter for their location once they are here.
- If you are replacing your HVAC, I have a line on a good 5 ton compressor that can be had at no cost.  Let me know if you are interested. 
- I have a lady who is offering an empty garage for storage.  Let me know.
- There are some offers of people looking to donate furniture.  If you have need now, let me know. 
-  Many people have offered short term places for folks to live.  Please let me know if you need a short term solution.