Monday, May 10, 2010

For May 11th

Flood Recovery for Tuesday, May 11

Today I got to spend some time at a home I had not yet visited, the home of a Redeemer family who’s situation came to my attention on Sunday.  It was good to be there and an honor to get to work.  Those who helped today came mainly from our church, but we also had some “outside” help.  There was a concert tonight in Nashville, and some young people from Alabama had drove up to see it.  They contacted me through twitter and came up early so that they could pitch in before the show.  What a blessing and an encouragement! 

Please Help Tomorrow
Tomorrow morning, we will start serious work on 332 Wimpole Drive, Nashville, 37211. 
If you can get physical, we need your help.  If you are available tomorrow, we will begin at 9 am.  Bring hammer, crowbar, portable saw, flashlights, knives, wire cutter, tin snips, drywall saw (they look like a keyhole saw) gloves, masks/goggles if you have them, and wear clothes that can get messy.  If we have a good crowd, this won’t take long. 

Relief Fund
I’m sure many of you have already begun to contribute towards our Relief Fund.   Every dollar given will go to help people in our congregation.  Please write checks to Church of the Redeemer and MEMO it to “Flood Relief.”  Then send the check to us at 920 Caldwell Lane, Nashville, TN, 37204

FEMA has opened a center at 100 Oaks.  If you had substantial damage but have not contacted FEMA, please do so TODAY.  1-800-462-9029

Please Report In
It would be a great help to me if you have been helping at a Redeemer home if you would report in to me.  Please send me an e-mail and let me know what more needs to be done in the coming week, if anything.  Let me know, also, what you have been doing. If you are a homeowner and you have not been assisted, or if you need more assistance, I need to know so that I can direct folks toward you.  Please don’t be shy in asking for help. 

Assist Those Without Computers
If you have been reading these e-mails, or following the blog, you know that we have posted a great deal of information.  Of course, many of those most affected by the flood have lost their computers.  For that reason, I have assembled some of the most important data in a single document: Flood Relief Guide.  You can access this guide very easily.  If you click here, it should download automatically: http://files.me.com/thomas.mckenzie/pz8wcs If that does not work, send me an e-mail and ask for the document.  I will send it to you; it is a pdf file.  If you know people who have been affected by the flood, please print out this document and take it to them.  It will provide very useful information. 

Medium Term Living Situations
Within the next couple of weeks, we will need to get some people into medium-term living situations.  These are places where they can stay for 3-6 months while their homes are being taken care of.  If you are able to help us find medium term situations, please let me know.  These can be rental properties, subleases, or whatever.  Thanks.

Information and Resources I Can Pass On
- I have a line on a washer and dryer.  Let me know. 
- An architect has offered to help those of you who may need one.  I can give you his contact information. 
- If you lost a car and need one, I can at least two available for loan.  Let me know.
- If you need a truck, I have a line on two that you can borrow.  Neither comes with a driver.  Let me know, and I will give you the facts. 
- Want to know how to preserve photos, I can pass info on to you.
- Tide “Loads of Hope” will be in Nashville on Wednesday to wash clothes for those affected.  Watch the blog/facebook/twitter for their location once they are here.
- I have a lady who is offering an empty garage for storage.  Let me know.
- There are some offers of people looking to donate furniture.  If you have need now, let me know. 
-  Many people have offered short term places for folks to live.  Please let me know if you need a short term solution.

Stay In Touch
Please continue to follow this blog for information about where and how to help, to offer help, or to get help.   If you use facebook, please be sure to “like” (formerly known as “become a fan of”) Redeemer at www.Facebook.com/RedeemerNashville  Also, we have been using twitter at www.twitter.com/RedeemerNash.  I am also contacting people through phone, text, and e-mail.  Once again, I can be reached at 615-403-4009 and Thomas@RedeemerNashville.net